Tuesday 16 February 2010

I'M BACK!!!

Ahh... Finally, I get to use the Internet. 4 days at my grandmother's house in Malaysia, 4 days without Internet. At least I had offline games to entertain myself. It was hard. Seriously. Anyways, complaining about not having Internet can't be elaborated much and it isn't the reason I'm posting this post.

It's just that, when I went to Malaysia this year, I noticed the differences between Singaporeans and Malaysians, and people of different races and cultures. Perhaps the previous times I did not bother since I was to busy, but this time, most likely due to boredom and lack of entertainment, I noticed quite a few differences.

One incident would be when my mother went to buy cendol. In case you don't know what that is, it is a traditional dessert originating from Malaysia. Anyway, the vendor was taking a loooooong time serving the other customer that came before us, and my mother was getting impatient. Even though we are Malaysians, my mother was pretty impatient, while the vendor still took her time.

This goes to show how great our environment affects us. In Singapore, it is very rushed and we are always having a race against time, but in Malaysia, it is more relaxed, and moves at a slower pace, so the vendor thinks that we do not mind waiting, while in actual fact we do. This actually encompasses the whole difference thing, since it shows how the environment actually affects us a lot.

How about another thing? The folks there might be more economically challenged than us, but at least they enjoy life - fly kites, etc. unlike us, who sit in front of the computer for the whole day playing. Our parents keep saying that we should go out and enjoy ourselves, I completely agree. But in this fast-paced society of ours, is there really even time to relax like the considerably slower-paced and traditional society of Malaysia?

No comments:

Post a Comment